Did you know that an estimated 90% of small businesses fail within five years? Utah businesses are no exception to this rule. One common reason is not having the right tools or people in place. This means finding an IT company, also known as a Managed Service Provider (MSP), to keep your IT running smoothly is more important than ever.
Managed service providers have undergone great changes recently. The industry suffered some high-profile disruptions in the past, resulting in a new breed of MSPs that is more suited for this modern era.
The challenge now with choosing the right MSP is understanding your needs and finding the MSP that best matches those needs. Not all MSPs are created equal, so it’s important to find one that will give your business the most value.
Some key questions to ask an MSP include:
- Do they offer 24/7/365 support? If your business operates 24/7 then it’s crucial that you receive round-the-clock support. A reliable MSP will offer this level of accessibility to keep your systems up and running day and night without interruption. 24/7/365 support means your business will face less risk on nights, weekends and holidays.
- Who are their other clients? It can be beneficial to find out what types of businesses a potential MSP works with, especially ones that are similar to yours. This will give you a better idea about your compatibility with them and whether they offer services that meet the needs of your business.
- Can they support my operating systems? Different MSPs specialize in different types of technologies, so make sure they have experience when it comes to the specific software and devices you use in your business. For example, if your business uses Macs instead of PCs, make sure they can support you. Also, are there any special software tools you use? If so, ask them if they can support it.
- Do they have a dedicated team? When you choose an MSP the goal is that they will be there for your business as much as you need them to be. One way to ensure this happens is by working with a company that has a dedicated team of experts who work together seamlessly. Working with an MSP that outsources most of their support may leave you frustrated with sub-par service.
- Are their services scalable? When it comes to MSPs, you want a provider that can grow with your business needs. Make sure they offer scalable services and pricing plans so that if your company changes or expands you will be able to incorporate these changes without facing extra costs or needing to search for another provider.
- Is your MSP on a national or local level? In addition to choosing an MSP that meets all of your needs it’s important to consider whether you want a company on a national or local level. Some companies offer both, while others only provide one type of service. A local provider will have a better understanding of your business climate, will be readily available for onsite service if necessary, and will likely know other professionals in your network.
- What is their response time? When something goes wrong at your business it’s important to have an MSP that can respond quickly. Ask about their average response time, as well as how they prioritize different issues. This will give you an idea of the type of service you should expect when issues arise at your company.
These are just a few of the many questions that you should ask before choosing an IT company for your Utah business. With the right questions asked and answered, however, you will be able to find an MSP that works great for your company’s needs.