What is Secure Access Service Edge (SASE)?
Secure Access Service Edge (SASE) is a cutting-edge security framework that allows businesses to improve their network and security controls, especially in our new remote-workplace and work-from-home workforce environments. SASE provides a secure way for employees to access the internet and your business resources from anywhere in the world. It also helps protect against cyberattacks by using advanced security technologies such as firewalls, virtual private networks (VPNs), intrusion detection systems, and malware protection.
How does SASE work?
SASE works by creating a secure tunnel between your device and your business’s data and other resources. This tunnel encrypts all of your data so that it can’t be read by anyone else. It also prevents anyone from tampering with your traffic or tracking your movements online.
Why should our business use SASE?
SASE provides a number of benefits, including:
1. Enhanced security: SASE provides enhanced security for all your workers devices, helping to protect them from malicious attacks.
2. Improved efficiency: SASE helps you to streamline your workflow by providing quick and easy access to your applications and data for all your employees, regardless of their location.
3. Increased flexibility: SASE gives you the flexibility to work from any location, with any device, helping you to be more productive.
4. Reduced costs: SASE can help you to reduce your costs by allowing you to securely use cloud-based applications and services.
5. Enhanced security compliance: SASE helps you to meet your compliance requirements by providing a secure connection between users and resources.
6. Improved manageability: SASE makes it easy to manage your security infrastructure, helping to reduce the administrative burden.
What problems do SASE solutions solve?
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic in early 2020, business computer networks have become more distributed as workers work from both traditional office and remote locations, and increasing their dependence on cloud applications to perform their tasks. This new environment has exposed businesses to more points of compromise and has negatively affected the user experience of remote workers who are dependent on a conventional virtual private network (VPN) only solution.
According to Fortinet, for businesses who are struggling to adapt and secure a hybrid workforce, SASE offers a more scalable, centralized way of securing them. Since SASE is a cloud-delivered solution, it also allows organizations to shift away from purchasing numerous point-products to secure different parts of their networks and adopt a more operational cost service model as well.1
What is the difference between a VPN and SASE?
When you need to access your company’s internal network while working remotely, you can use a virtual private network (VPN). A VPN creates a secure connection between your computer and the company’s network. This allows you to securely access the company’s files and applications as if you were working from the office.
A secure access service edge (SASE) is a newer technology that provides a similar level of security as a VPN. However, SASE is designed specifically for mobile devices. It allows employees to connect to the company’s internal network without having to install any software or configure anything on their device.
How Simple Systems Can Help
As a Fortinet Partner and a Utah-based IT service company, we help businesses throughout Utah implement FortiSASE, Fortinet’s SASE solution. If you are having trouble navigating the complexities of securing your businesses digital assets and private information in this new hybrid workforce environment, consider giving us a call. We’re excited to show you how a SASE solution can help you overcome your cybersecurity and compliance challenges.