The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification, or CMMC, is a big deal in the defense sector. It’s a set of standards that businesses must meet to do business with the Department of Defense (DoD) and other federal agencies.
Before getting evaluated, there are many things you can do to make sure your organization is on the right track, including utilizing CMMC consulting. Here’s a comprehensive CMMC compliance checklist to help you prepare for your assessment.
Understanding CMMC Levels
The CMMC framework evaluates cybersecurity practices across multiple maturity levels, ensuring businesses are adept at protecting sensitive data. This robust framework not only assesses existing security measures but also provides guidelines for enhancing these practices.
To determine the appropriate CMMC level for your business, follow these steps:
- Identify the kind of federal contract information (FCI) and controlled unclassified information (CUI) your business handles.
- Generally, Level 1 is for businesses that solely handle FCI while Levels 2-5 are for businesses that also handle CUI, with each level representing increased security measures.
- Consider the nature of your work, the data you handle, and your business goals. Use CMMC consulting to help determine the most suitable level for your business.
While there is a Model 2.0 in development with 3 levels of compliance, the 5-level structure is what we will focus on since 2.0 isn’t contractually obligated yet.
CMMC Compliance Checklist
There are 5 total levels of CMMC Model 1.0, each with increasing requirements. The checklist below covers the general requirements for all levels and includes specific items for Levels 2-5.
Level 1: Basic Cyber Hygiene
To achieve Level 1 compliance, you should have basic cybersecurity practices in place. These include:
- Having antivirus software installed and up to date on all devices
- Implementing robust access control measures to ensure only authorized personnel can access sensitive information
- Conducting regular backups of important data and testing
Level 2: Intermediate Cyber Hygiene
In addition to the requirements for Level 1, you should also:
- Have a written security policy in place that outlines your organization’s approach to cybersecurity and risk management
- Conduct regular vulnerability scans of your network and devices
- Provide security awareness training to all employees every year and implement incident response procedures
Level 3: Good Cyber Hygiene
At this level, you should have all the requirements for Levels 1 and 2, as well as:
- Implementing a formal system security plan to identify, assess, and mitigate potential risks
- Having continuous monitoring in place for all security controls
- Encrypting all sensitive data in transit and at rest
Level 4: Proactive
Level 4 means you’re taking proactive measures to protect your organization’s sensitive data. Take advantage of CMMC consulting if you need help with:
- Conducting periodic risk assessments to identify vulnerabilities in your system and mitigate them
- Having an advanced incident response plan that includes forensic analysis and threat-hunting capabilities
- Implementing enhanced incident response measures
Level 5: Advanced / Progressive
Level 5 is the highest level of CMMC compliance, and it requires the most advanced cybersecurity measures.
- Having a comprehensive, integrated security program that includes all aspects of cybersecurity with advanced technologies
- Implementing full-spectrum cyber threat hunting with advanced analytics and real-time response capabilities
- Continuous improvement of all cybersecurity processes
Stay Compliant With CMMC Consulting
CMMC consulting is a professional service aimed at guiding businesses through the process of achieving Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC). Consultants help you understand the CMMC framework, identify your required level, and implement necessary cybersecurity measures.
With their expertise, you can ensure your organization is fully compliant and well-prepared for your CMMC assessment.
Consult With Simple Systems For Expert Services
At Simple Systems, we offer comprehensive CMMC consulting services to help businesses achieve compliance with the latest cybersecurity standards. Our team of experts has extensive knowledge and experience in implementing CMMC requirements and can guide your organization toward successful CMMC certification.
Don’t wait until the last minute to get your business compliant. Contact Simple Systems today and let us help you take the first steps.